Helen Flage is a chartered town planner with more than 20 years’ experience in planning, urban design and masterplanning. Helen has worked in a number of senior consultancy roles leading on a wide variety of planning strategies, spatial frameworks, masterplans and the design development of residential, regeneration and town centre projects at multiple scales. More recently she was a planning and design advisor in the Atlas team within the Homes and Communities Agency advising on the planning, design and delivery of large scale and complex developments (including Garden Settlements).
Helen has extensive experience of working with local authorities within inter-disciplinary teams supporting collaborative working and specialises in place-making, masterplanning and how to secure place and design quality through the planning process. Helen was a planning and design quality lead at Homes England and in 2018 provided written advice to MHCLG to inform the updated NPPG. She was also a member of the stakeholder group that supported the preparation of the National Design Guide. Helen now works with Hyas Associates providing planning and design advice to local authorities on large scale development projects. She is a panel member of the Places Matter North West Design Review Panel 2020-23.
Key Skills and expertise
- Master planning, Urban Design & Placemaking
- Planning & Designing of Large-Scale Development
- New Settlements, Garden Towns & Villages, Urban Extensions. Regeneration & Neighbourhood Renewal
- Plan-Making & Planning Policy Formulation
- Planning, Development & Design Guidance and Briefs
- Development Management and Planning Applications
- Planning Performance Agreements
- Stakeholder Consultation and Engagement
- Leading and supporting collaborative and inter-disciplinary working within planning
- Mobile: 07929 944823