- Project: Shrewsbury Levelling Up Fund Bid
- Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- Client: Shropshire Council & Shrewsbury BID
- Accommodation: n/a
- Planning authority: Shropshire Council
- Started: 2021
- Completed: 2021
Hyas were commissioned by Shropshire Council and the Shrewsbury Business Improvement District (BID) to help coodinate the preparation of a strong bid to the Levelling Up Fund (LUF).
Hyas led the preparation of the bid form and supporting material, including a delivery plan, working closely with the Council, BID and Town Council. LDA Design and BEG Group provided support to address various key requirements, including the assessment of Value for Money.
The team worked collaboratively to consider opportunities within Shrewsbury, and a package of projects were identified consisting of:
- ‘Making Movement Better’. Public realm improvements (widened pavements, traffic calming, wayfinding) within the town loop to enhance the experience of moving through and around the town centre and stimulate greater footfall, spend and economic activity.
- Town centre accelerating Smithfield Riverside Regeneration. Demolition, site preparation and the installation of temporary pop-up retail, leisure and event space, prior to the site’s longer term redevelopment.
- Provision of a co-working hub at a key site closely related to the public realm improvements and opportunity at Smithfield Riverside.
These interventions will stimulate growth by increasing town centre footfall, enhancing and supporting the visitor economy, promoting economic activity and stimulating developer confidence and appetite to invest in Shrewsbury.
This integrated portfolio of improvements will provide crosscutting support of the aspirations and objectives of the Shrewsbury Big Town Vision (December 2020), namely the ‘Big Moves’ that advocate the connecting of communities, celebrate heritage, provide quality public spaces and creating opportunities for growth.
(Images: LDA Design)